, , , , , , , , , ,

Click Here for Part 2

Friday 28th June

The rain of the previous evening had abated and the clouds were slowly starting to clear. It didn’t take us long to pack everything away and break camp. We pulled out of The Old Oaks at 9:50 and headed back through the outskirts of Glastonbury heading for the A39 to take us back to the M5. The Sat Nav told us we had 143 miles to travel to the Caravan Club’s Warwick Racecourse site, and no holdups. By the time we were passing through Bristol, the clouds had completely cleared and the sun was shining. We pulled into Michael Wood Services, northbound this time, around 11:15 for a 20 minute break and to grab a coffee (or tea in Sue’s case) and a bite to eat.

We arrived at Warwick around 13:15 and it didn’t take long to get setup and sitting out with a beer… well the sun was over the yard arm somewhere!


Sue keeps telling me to do a close up shot…. so here it is!…


We had visited Warwick Castle a couple of times in the past, but that was quite a few years ago so we thought that on Saturday we’d walk over. I checked the opening times on the internet but was astounded to see that the admission price was a mahoosive £30.60 each!. Ouch. For that price I wanted to be escorted round by a genuine Knight. We decided to give that one a miss.

A couple in the caravan opposite to us that were packing up to leave told us they had been doing the canal walks in the area, so a quick Google search came up with a nice 5 mile walk starting at the Racecourse that followed the Grand Union Canal and River Avon around Warwick (Details Here) so that was the plan for tomorrow.

While we were sat out enjoying the sun watching a couple of motorhomes arrive a caravan pulled in next to us bearing Isle Of Man plates. As they manoeuvred onto their pitch I promised we weren’t sat there ready to give them marks out of ten for their reversing skills!. It didn’t take them long to set up and introduce themselves as Ian and Gaye.

Saturday 29th June

The day started cloudy but no rain forecast  The route of the walk took us out of the racecourse car park between the golf course and driving range, crossing the racecourse and down a track behind some houses onto Birmingham Rd for a short stretch before picking up the tow path on the Saltisford Canal through the marina. From there we cut across onto the Grand Union Canal and followed that eastward past “The Cape of Good Hope” and the locks.


Approaching “The Cape of Good Hope” and lock.



I’m sure a bit of Duck Tape would cure the leak!

OK.. me being 'arty' - I love photographing industrial heritage stuff, especially in black & white.

OK.. me being ‘arty’ – I love photographing industrial heritage stuff, especially in black & white.

We followed the Grand Union Canal for about 2 miles until we came to the aquaduct that takes the Grand Union over the River Avon


Looking down from the aquaduct to the River Avon below…..


Here there is a long set of steps down to follow the waterway path south along the banks of the River Avon.

We followed the river until it runs along side St Nicolas park. By now the sun was out and it was warming up nicely. As you come to the end of the park, there is a set of steps up onto Banbury Road, where if you turn left onto the bridge and cross over the road you get a great view of the castle…..


From here you backtrack into Warwick centre and following the directions on the map you can walk down Mill Street and see some fine examples of English architecture. Backtracking again we walked up Castle Hill onto Jury Street into the centre of Warwick. We cut up Swan St and found a pavement cafe near the Market Hall Museum for a spot of lunch.

We wandered through the town eventually heading back to the racecourse. A quick trip in the car to Sainsbury’s was required to stock up on a few bits & pieces before returning to enjoy the sun which by now unusually for the UK was too hot to sit out for long.

Saturday evening the “One Hairy Caravanner” donned his apron and produced Pork Steaks with Panfried Potato & Chorizo.. with a green leaf salad for Sue!

Sunday 30th June

Not an early start, but we wanted to be away sharpish as we hoped to be able to catch the British Grand Prix on TV when we got home. It was just after 10:00 by the time we had packed everything away and said goodbye to Ian & Gaye and were pulling off site. 120 miles and 2 hours 20 minutes later we were back home. Another trip under our belts.

Where next I wonder…. where next indeed!


Click Here for Part 2

Click Here for Part 1